Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Little Ones, and other fine natural things.

Because I know you're as excited about this as I am, here are photos of the first bitty bits of my garden!  Yeah, I know, the little starters are on a Christmas cookie platter.  Didn't have anything else handy, and this works just fine.  I started them on my dresser in a south facing window.  It's about the only place in the apartment that gets any notable sun, and I think they're doing just fine.  Also beginning to sprout are my tomatoes!  Still waiting on the peppers and cilantro, but it will come in time.  The onions are cippolini yellow onions, which can be dried and stored for the winter.  Sweet, huh?!  Got them at Seeds Of Change.  I only picked a few different kinds of veggies.  I figure I'm being ambitious enough for a first try.  Why am I starting them inside, you ask?  Simple.  Because I live in Ohio, and we had yet another frost last night.  The last probably won't be until the end of May, though we're having all kinds of record temperatures this year.  Who knows? 














But that's enough about my little plate of earth.  As you know, I am trying to buy everything as natural as possible.  This so far includes skin care products and shampoo.  Since the skin is the biggest organ in the body and the first line of defense, it seems like a big step to change just a few things. 
I've been using Avalon Organics facial cleansing milk.  It's pretty gentle, but still contains some alcohol.  As I suffer from mild eczema, the alcohol can be a problem.  But if I stay on top of it with a good moisturizer, it's not a problem.  With this cleanser, I don't have to worry about using a toner.  It takes care of removing oils from a non-oily face just fine.
 

As for moisturizers, I've been using Alba's green tea and aloe moisturizer.  It's nice and light, and a little goes a long way.  It's not quite intense enough to solve the winter dryness, but is fine in the summer.  I'm still working on a solution for the winter problem.  If anybody could help me out, I'd really appreciate it!  


Next up, body wash.  Hugo Naturals' Pomegranate body wash.  One word: Love.  It has a very mild smell, suds up nicely, and doesn't dry me out.  What's more awesome than that?  This is a picture of their shampoo, but the body wash comes in the same kind of packaging.  Forgive me?



And lastly, shampoo and conditioner.  I have only just begun to use the Organix coconut milk set.  So far, so good.  It's labeled as "nourishing," and as far as I can tell, it is.  After just the first wash, my hair seems more supple, less dry.  (Are you noticing the theme here?)  And this stuff smells yummy!  My hair is fairly coarse, and very unruly.  I doubt if it will help with the styling problems, but I'll be sure to let you know if it miraculously cures my head of frizz!    
 

They have various "flavors" for different needs. There's a moisturizing tea tree and mint version, and pomegranate, among others.  It's a little more pricey than your cheapie Suaves and the like, but not so much as to make it unattainable.  And that is typically what you'll find when trying to convert everything to organic and natural sources.  It's more expensive.  However, to rid your body of all the chemicals that have increased our rate of disease will only save you money in doctor visits and hospital bills in the long run.  I say it's worth a go!  


No comments:

Post a Comment