Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Returning to Paint

So, there was only like... four months between these two photos.  But I'm painting again, and it feels FANTASTIC!  I might be taking a break from sewing.  Or I might just have to finally figure out how to balance them.  Like sew tomorrow night, while this thing is drying.  But painting, it's seriously awesome.  :)

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Finished Blouse - Burdastyle Handbook

Here's my finished blouse!

First, I made a muslin, using the seam tracing technique.  I picked it up from Gretchen Hirsch's Sew Retro class, on Craftsy.   I haven't made that dress yet, but I watched the whole class!

I made my alterations to the pattern (changed it to a V-neck).

I used a lot of basting to keep everything in place while I worked.  This was slippery floaty fabric!

I finished the neckline with an applique stitch, and clipped away the rest of the facing.  You could see the whole thing through the sheer fabric, and that was not pretty.  This is!

And lastly, I learned that there is a reason for black interfacing.  I used white initially, and you could see it.  It looked weird (below).  I removed the cuffs, used black interfacing for new ones, and holy moly, does it look better! 

Many many lessons learned working with sheers.  I'd encourage anyone to give it a try!  Just make sure you buy a little extra fabric.  :)

Friday, June 1, 2012

Studio Makeover

My birthday was on Memorial Day this year. I took a couple of days off (5 day staycation FTW!), and my dad built me shelves for the studio closet as my gift.  Apparently I've become difficult to shop for, but this was a life-changer, people!

I started with two shelves (only two) with space-consuming supports.  I don't have any before photos, as I was way too eager to improve it.  There's plenty of space in this closet, but I had to stack stuff.  That means that if I wanted something on the bottom of the stack, it was a royal pain to get to.  I had a bunch of fabric totes, and figured that 12 inch tall shelves would accommodate either the totes or books, so that I could get rid of the bookshelf.

The sort-of-before.  This is all the shelf space I had.

Dad and I figured out how deep I wanted each shelf and how much lumber we would need.  We used the laser level that my uncle gave me for the first time to mark where each shelf needed to be.  (This closet is not plum or square ANYWHERE!) Two sheets of plywood, a couple of 1x3"s, and a gallon of paint later, I had a bright white closet with lots of shelving!

After - lots of shelves, no more stacking stuff!

Feel free to ignore the cross stitch teddy bear.  I think I made it in middle school.

It took me a couple of days to figure out exactly where I wanted everything.  I have one box of fabric that hasn't made it back into the closet, but that's just more incentive to actually turn it into clothing.  I think most of it is flannel, intended for pajamas, anyway.  I emptied the bookshelf, and rearranged, and well, the studio is about twice as big.  Plus, I can have sewing and painting projects out at the SAME TIME!

The biggest benefit: when cleaning is easy, stuff gets put away!  I think this probably cost my dad about $100 for all the lumber and paint, and it seriously changed my world.