Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Palomino Blackwing 602

Once upon a time, there was a pencil.  A very nice pencil.  So nice that when they discontinued it, some people were paying up to $50 for this pencil.  Now, they're making it again.  Rachel got me one with her Klout.

This is apparently a special edition release, just for the Klout folks.  Check it out!

The box, number 271 of 602.  The middle of the Edition.
That's a good thing! :)

Slid off the numbered seal, opened the box
to find black paper and another golden seal. 

Slid off the paper to find a velvet bag.

Blackwing (Black), Blackwing 602 (Grey), refill erasers,
Long Point sharpener, and a handwritten letter:



















It's kind of crazy that someone sat around and wrote 602 of these letters, but given the care of the rest of the package, I can't say I'm not impressed.

Rachel kept the 602, as she is the wordsmith.  I kept the regular Blackwing.  I think what makes this pencil so nice is really in the details.  It's made of cedar, so it's easy to sharpen, but sturdy.  The lead is firm, but still very dark.  You get a great line/value variation from just a single pencil. The eraser is an eraser, but it's incredibly nice to be able to change it so easily, and to get the sharp points that its unusual shape offers.  I'd totally spend the $20 for a pack of 12.

The pencil sharpener was one of the strangest things I've ever seen.  I'll show you that tomorrow.

Happy Drawing!

No comments:

Post a Comment