Wednesday, January 25, 2012

1911 Corset Progress

As you know, I have been extremely excited to be part of the 1911 Corset Sew-Along over at Bridges on the Body.  It's been rather educational to look at everyone's work.  We have several experienced corset makers, and some first time sewers (amazingly ambitious ones)!  I managed to fit mine with relatively little trouble, and miraculously no frustration!  Other than the difficulty of getting in and out of the mock-up before the front opens.  (Rachel had to help me more than once.)  This is in no small part because of Jo and other members' advice, and the fact that Jo has broken everything down into such manageable bites.

Here's my ridiculously pansy-covered mock-up. (Thanks Oma, for the million yards of this fabric!)
Second Fitting Front

Second Fitting Back
Back (forgive the self-photo)
Tonight, we cut out the real fabric, and I'm SUPER EXCITED!  I'm also looking forward to to shaping my seam allowances, which seems pretty easy.  Actually, it seems like it should be much more difficult than that.  Anyway, check out everyone's progress on the flickr group's page.


  1. Hi there, I'm a new follower on your blog. I'm so impressed you're making this corset, I would seriously not have the patience. Also, I love your organiser thing! I love being organised too but I always have a mess somewhere! x

    1. Thank you! I was pretty sure I didn't have the skill for the corset either, but when Jo decided to host the sew-along, I decided I had nothing to lose!

      My wife's been keeping us super busy, but I really really REALLY hope to get the tutorial for that organizer up soon. I'm so behind! :/