Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Revising Goals

Everything is transient.  It's a very Taoist thought, I know, but it's true.  And so, rather than be rigid in everything we do, we must change; we must "be water," as Bruce Lee said.  I haven't met my goals of two finished pieces a week in a long time.  Why?  Because things change.  When I set that goal, things were different.  I didn't have a house with a TON of yard work to do.  I didn't need to remodel anything.  I was working on small projects.

Now, I have this house, the jungle outside to contend with, and my projects have become broader and larger in scope.  Completing two things a week is simply just not possible.  Being a pretty textbook Gemini, I always have a lot going on.  I do indeed get bored easily, so I've found that the only way for me to complete projects is to rotate my working time.  It also helps me to have rules, even if I made them up, and can change them as I please.  It helps keep me focused. So I'm making new rules.

First, I need to keep my new house tidy.  True, the carpet is ruined (bought it that way), but that doesn't mean I can't run a vacuum.  A friend of mine told me that the best way to keep on top of the house work was to do a ten minute "cleaning frenzy" every day.  That's something I can adhere to.  I like a clean house, but cleaning for hours and hours is no good.

Then, I have the yard work, and the house remodel.  If it's nice out, I'll be outside for probably two hours.  That's just how it goes.  I'm trying to leave the house work to the weekends, because it's just better that way.  It's very involved, and hard to work on for just a short time.

That's all the stuff I have to do.  So is there enough time for the stuff I want to do?  Well, sure.  I want to work for at least one hour on my creative work, every day.  This could be sketching, sewing, research, buying supplies, anything, as long as there is forward momentum.  If I work one hour, chances are I'll work longer than that!  And this still leaves time for dinner, and a little bit of relaxation.

I haven't quite worked in where my exercise routine (forgotten, of late) will go.  I'm thinking that I'll have to wake up early and do it, which is preferred anyway. How do you balance everything?

3 comments:

  1. If you have a problem with too much stuff, you should read one of Peter Walsh's books. It's All Too Much is great, it will help you de-clutter, and hey, you can even buy the book on tape (well, CD.) How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have too much stuff. Physical and otherwise. I guess that comes with too many interests. You probably know all about that, don't you, fellow Gemini?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes. Too many hobbies, too many books, too many collections (wrist watches, bicycles, fountain pens, motorcycles, old cameras, paperweights, zippo lighters with dragons on them, etc.) It's funny though... I have recently learned that my most important possession is the time I get to spend with people I love.

    ReplyDelete