Monday, November 8, 2010

Many Project Weekend

What a productive weekend!  I baked my very first home made loaf of bread.  Yum!  I also completed my first yubinuki thimble!

















It's not all that pretty, but it's not bad for a first try!  Much was learned in the making, and it's still functional so I won't count it a loss.

I also completed the second of two meditation bags I was commissioned to make.  Since they are spiritual in nature and have personal symbols, I opted not to photograph them.  It's just not my place.  But they're black velvet, lined, and embroidered with silver thread.  I must say, I'm pretty proud of them, and my client was extremely pleased!

Remember that beautiful fabric I found?  Well it became the Gathered Clutch from Noodlehead.

Gathered Front















Back - See how great this fabric is?!














Interior with card holders - Mine has four slots instead of two.














Interior with divider.














It was surprisingly easy to construct.  It's not a beginner project, but it's not a challenging one, and the result is just lovely.  I'm still not certain I like the light pink on the outside, but the darker swirly stuff looked just too busy with everything else that was going on.  I have enough for a second one, so perhaps I'll try it and see.  And since this was a gift to Rachel, and she's 100% happy with the light pink, I won't worry too much about it.

I also brought in a haul of patterns, spending only about $25.  When my receipt said I saved $68, I was very glad I decided to go in that day! Good thinking, Rachel!

And lastly, since Rachel's had too many flaky artists, I've decided to learn comic style illustration.  This began of course with the Zornow Challenge.  I'm also looking at some great art from the classics like CREEPY, EERIE, and anything by Bernie Wrightson.  I picked up his Frankenstein at this amazing comic shop in Salem.    This is the art on the cover, and if you've ever seen the inside, well it's perfection in pen and ink.  In any case, here are my meager beginnings.  I spent some time just copying artwork, and then decided it was going to make more sense to do my own.  So I found this portrait of Jacopo Tintoretto and tried my hand at the illustration style.  It's a work in progress, but I'm pleased, nonetheless.

















See where I've left out the shading on his left cheek?  I'll get it though, eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment