Saturday, June 5, 2010

Healthy and Not-So-Healthy

Finally, the garden is planted!  I've got the few seedlings I kept here planted, along with the last of the seeds.  Now, we have only to see what comes of it.

First, I have to apologize for the quality of the photos.  I don't have the most awesome of cameras, and the light was really funky today.  It was super overcast all day, and I think the camera just couldn't figure out what to make of it.  In any case, you can see the box, the size of it, the way it is constructed and so forth.  My cucumbers are already flowering.  I imagine they're supposed to be a great deal larger before that happens, so we'll see what  becomes of them.  Either way, look how cheery the little yellow flowers are!  I love them.















Sadly, they don't really glow like this.  Also, I drilled a few drainage holes around the bottom of the box, to let out extra water.  On the other box, I drilled them on the bottom.  On this, I drilled them on the sides.  Time will tell which works better, or if there is a difference at all.  Next summer, I'll just plug up the ones that I don't like.














Then, there was this.  It's not looking so good, is it? 














Ok, so it's not really a nastily infected human bite.  It's just makeup, and I must say, I'm pretty proud of it.  I got started on it, because tonight is not only the monthly (at least I think it's monthly) showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but it is zombie night there.  Rachel said that she would only go if she could be a good zombie, and told me what she wanted.  I thought to myself "self, I think we have all the stuff we need for this.  Let's play!"  And this is the result.

I was thinking about the point of infection, and what it might look like to spread throughout the body.  I only chose my hand because it's easy to experiment on.  Plus, there are numerous visible veins in the backs of my hands.  Tracing them helps it to be convincing, and gives it natural dimension.  I drew from not only zombie/virus movies that I've seen, but an event in my history.  I forget exactly what happened to her, whether she was bitten by a dog or what, but my mom got some mean kind of blood infection.  She had nasty redness creeping up her veins, and was reaching her upper arm by early morning of the next day.  Since it was getting dangerously close to her heart, she was whisked away to the doctor's for a dose of heavy antibiotics.  To which she had a horrible allergic reaction.  Or maybe I'm mixing events.  In any case, I think the memories helped me make a believable makeup job.  Other opinions?  Criticisms?

1 comment:

  1. You are correct, it was a bite from Scrappy and then the antibiotics were the kind that made her puke everywhere.

    ReplyDelete