Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Venus and the Vampire

I finally started to make real progress on this painting.  Last night, I drew a grid onto my panel so that I could draw the damask pattern.  I laid it out in a terra cotta color, and did a more detailed version with my favorite sky blue, which is much more visible on the black background.  I will likely have to do a lot of retouching on the black.  Erasers don't work all that well, unfortunately, but I'll make it work.  I think I'll stick to shades of grey for the damask on this painting, in order to make the glowing blue of the squid really stand out.  

Subject: Vampyroteuthis infenralis (Quite literally the Vampire Squid from Hell)
Damask: Dionaea muscipula (Venus Fly trap)

They have similar methods of capturing their prey. 

Progress:













It's just like me to show you the worst section of the whole piece... oops. 
Rachel loves it so much already that she doesn't want me to sell it.  I hope to have a whole series of paintings I'm not supposed to sell in a few months! 

No comments:

Post a Comment