I've been busy sewing on a deadline. This latest piece was commissioned by a friend of mine, to match the band Steam Powered Giraffe. The deadline snuck up on me a bit, but I was able to complete it in time for her to attend their concert. It's name is completely unrelated, however. Because of its colors, the fact that I completed it Halloween night, and I STABBED myself more than I have on any other project of any kind, I call it Blood Sacrifice.
When I fitted the muslin, I installed a zipper in the front. She wanted to keep it, instead of a busk. In order to give it extra structure, I inserted a half inch bone on either side of the zipper, and it worked just fine. Later, I also found countourcorsets.com, selling corsets for serious tight-lacers, many of which had zipper closures. I had been worried that a zipper wouldn't handle the tension well, but that site disappeared my worries there.
Ageless Patterns #1042. These patterns assume that you know a bit about corsetry, and a good deal about sewing. Other than the slight confusion about which seams matched, I didn't find the minimal instructions to be a problem. It turned out quite well, actually! And my friend was pleased enough that it made those many, many, MANY pin-pricks worth it.